Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Journal Entry #1

Alright, this post is slightly delayed as I ended up having to work a bunch of overtime over the weekend. I didn't have enough time to properly commit to the journal, but I spent most of last night and some of this morning with the first entry. So, let's get started.

A quick note; none of the journal entries are dated. They just go right into his thoughts and are separated only the context of what's written, not by any other means that I can see. Breaking down the journal might a little difficult, but I'll do my best.

The inside cover has one thing written on it. It's a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson: "Fate is nothing but the deeds committed in a prior state of existence."

I didn't know much about Grandpa Mack, but I called my mom last night to see if she could offer some insight. She didn't have much to add, but she said that he often talked about fate and free will a lot when she was younger.

"The river is a place I often find myself. It's quiet, but it seems like a thousand thoughts fill my head and I can hear the voices of everyone around me. Even in this place that is filled with residents, it's a ghost town. Green Wake is still a mystery, the people want desperately to be left alone, but I can see it in their eyes that they want to be connected with others. Still, no one leaves their homes.


I've yet to actually speak with anyone, though I've passed people here and there in the street. I'm curious how they, like me, ended up in this strange situation. Tomorrow I plan to introduce myself to someone, and I hope there is conversation to be had. 


I can't stop thinking about you, Anna."

And that is the first page. I looked through his photos and found this. It could be the river he was talking about, but there is no way to be sure. There are no notes or annotations on any of his pictures.

I spoke to my mom again about Anna, and the name meant nothing to her. Could this have been a life before he met my grandmother?

I hope to update with page 2 by tomorrow, and since I got my scanner working (thanks Applecare) I can post a few more photos, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment